nanog mailing list archives

Re: comcast ipv6 PTR

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:29:46 -0700

On 2013-10-09, at 10:10, Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net> wrote:

Once upon a time, Blair Trosper <blair.trosper () gmail com> said:
True, but the location information, at least the state, is quasi-helpful.

That's another good reason to have reverse records for defined router
interfaces.  Auto-generated reverse for eveything doesn't give any
useful info though.

If people really want to use generic reverse names and have realised that the v6 address space is much too big for
$GENERATE, one approach is to delegate the appropriate zones to a custom nameserver that can auto-generate PTRs on
demand. There are scaling problems here, but probably nothing that can't be fixed with high TTLs and multiple
nameservers.

If I was doing that, my instinct would be to code against Ray Bellis' evldns (see <http://code.google.com/p/evldns/>).

Note that I'm not suggesting that auto-generated v6 PTRs (or v4 PTRs) are a good idea. But I'm aware that a lack of
reverse DNS on either protocol can make the helpdesk phone ring, so there is certainly a pragmatic argument in favour
of it.

Joe