nanog mailing list archives

Re: Geoip lookup

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 23:57:06 -0700

On May 23, 2013, at 23:49 , bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:39:12PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

On May 23, 2013, at 23:17 , David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:

On May 23, 2013, at 10:53 PM, Andreas Larsen <andreas.larsen () ip-only se> wrote:
The whole idea of Geoip is flawed.

Sure, but pragmatically, it's an 80% solution.

IP dosen't reside in countries,

True, according to (at least some of) the RIRs they reside in regions...

Really? Which ones? I thought they were only issued to organizations that had operations in regions.

Owen

      Just because I have operations in one region does not preclude me from having operations
      in other regions.  YMMV of course.

/bill

That was exactly my point, Bill... If you have operations in RIPE and ARIN regions, it is entirely possible for you to
obtain addresses from RIPE or ARIN and use them in both locations, or, obtain addresses from both RIPE and ARIN and use
them in their respective regions, or mix and match in just about any imaginable way. Thus, IP addresses don't reside in
regions, either. They are merely issued somewhat regionally.

Owen