nanog mailing list archives

Re: Illegal usage of AS51888 (and PI 91.220.85.0/24) from AS42989 and AS57954 (in ukraine)

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 17:42:08 -0400

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org> wrote:

On 03/05/2013 19:08, Christopher Morrow wrote:
hopefully it won't involve people being brave :) hopefully good
measurement
and metrics lead us to a position where things 'just work' and we can do
it
with confidence! :)

dropping prefixes means that you're ok about not having reachability to a
prefix if its roa pops up as "unknown".  This could be because the prefix
holder hasn't bothered to register their prefix in the rpki (i.e.
sloppiness), or it could be because the ROA has been revoked for some
reason (e.g. because of hijacking).  For sure, a router can't tell the
difference.

right, in the ideal tomorrow-tomorrow-land ... this all is part of turnup
and the timelines associated with propogation/etc are all known and
accounted for. Additionally, the systems involved are all well understood
and redundant/resilient/etc.

in short, in the tomorrow-tomorrow-land... this all just works as we
expect/want, and the only 'unknown' are actually 'invalid'.

From a deployment point of view, there's a pretty big gap between poking
around with rpki and actually dropping prefixes on your routers.  I don't
see that the rpki dat a will be good enough for the latter any time soon,
but maybe one day.

right, no problem with this.

Nick