nanog mailing list archives

Re: huawei

From: Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:21:25 -0400

Disclosure: I've been consulting to a group in Huawei for six years, ever since I retired from Nortel. I have seen no sign of anything except competent gathering of competitive information at meetings, the same as we did at Nortel. I would not have expected to see anything else, of course.

As a Canadian, I cast a somewhat skeptical eye on claims of Huawei being a particular security hazard. My personal view, without any evidence outside of the newspapers, is that the claims are commercially and politically motivated. I note that Cisco equipment, for instance, is also manufactured in China, but no one has taken that any further.

The IPR scandal is twenty years in the past, now. I've watched my own group mature and visited their Shenzhen campus of 10,000-plus engineers from time to time, and I would say that Huawei is well able to generate their own technology these days.

It's fun to speculate on how one might insert back doors in products, but I'm not sure there's reason to tie such speculation to particular vendors.

Tom Taylor