nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni network ownership and the Fourth

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 12:49:38 -0800

On Jan 30, 2013, at 6:33 AM, Jason Baugher <jason () thebaughers com> wrote:

There is much talk of how many fibers can fit in a duct, can be brought
into a colo space, etc... I haven't seen much mention of how much space the
termination in the colo would take, such as splice trays, bulkheads, etc...
Someone earlier mentioned being able to have millions of fibers coming
through a vault, which is true assuming they are just passing through the
vault. When you need to break into one of those 864-fiber cables, the room
for splice cases suddenly becomes a problem.

The other thing I find interesting about this entire thread is the
assumption by most that a government entity would do a good job as a
layer-1 or -2 provider and would be more efficient than a private company.
Governments, including municipalities, are notorious for corruption, fraud,
waste - you name it. Even when government bids out projects to the private
sector these problems are seen.

I now this is a popular refrain, but in reality, it's not all that accurate.

I have no problem with allowing L1/L2 to be done by private enterprise, so
long as said private enterprises are required to abide by the following rules:

1.      They are not allowed to sell L3+ services.
2.      They are not allowed to own any portion of any L3+ service provider.
3.      They must sell their L1/L2 services to any L3+ service provider on
        equal terms.

Owen