nanog mailing list archives

Re: CGN fixed/hashed nat question

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:22:06 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Dan Wing <dwing () cisco com> wrote:
draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn provides that functionality in
an attempt to help randomize ports (see RFC6056).  However, because
the ports are fixed and there are relatively few ports, an attacker
can determine the ports by causing the victim to open a bunch
of TCP connections.  This can be done by a bunch of "img src" tags
in an HTML-encoded email message, among other mechanisms.  If the
hashing causes no logging, it creates a new requirement for a strong
audit trail of the CGN configuration.

I thought this was desirable behavior for a CGN since effective port
prediction facilitates p2p nat traversal?

Bear in mind that Windows XP uses a dynamic port range between 1024
and 5000 and allocates them linearly. Small range and trivially
predictable. Were it practical to use this knowledge for much more
than denial of service I tend to think we'd have noticed by now.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004