nanog mailing list archives

Re: CALEA options for small/midsize ISPs

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:28:51 -0500

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Byron Hooper <bhooper () staff gwi net> wrote:
Hello All,

My company is looking at updating our CALEA set up.  Our network has
changed appreciably since our initial rollout and I am looking at utilizing
Cisco's Lawful Intercept.  I'm wondering what people are using as "Mediator
Devices", aka what the Cisco routers are sending the Lawful Intercept
stream to.

Cisco's Lawful Intercept seems like a solid option since all it requires
for us is an IOS upgrade on our core routers and something to act as a
Mediator, but I'm also interested in solutions others are using.

not that when I last looked there were some pretty serious speed/feed
problems with this solution. (like 15kpps max)

I believe packetforensics still ships boxes that do the intercept and
I believe send data off to LEA in the right format:
  <http://packetforensics.com/products.safe>

it'd require these to be in place between PE and CE though, which is
'ok' if you have an all fiber type deployment.

--
Byron Hooper
Network Engineer