nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni network ownership and the Fourth

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:55:34 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>

Why can't the splitters be in the MMR? (I'm genuinely asking... I
confess to a certain level of GPON ignorance).

Sorry for being late to the party (real work and all that).

There is no reason whatsoever that one can't have centralized
splitters in one's PON plant. The additional costs to do so are
pretty much just limited to higher fiber counts in the field, which
adds, tops, a couple of percent to the price of the build.

Ok, see, this is what Leo, Owen and I all think, and maybe a couple others.

But Scott just got done telling me it's *so* much more expensive to
home-run than ring or GPON-in-pedestals that it's commercially infeasible.

                                                             More than
offset by futureproofing and not requiring forklift upgrades to add a
new technology for a few customers. Obviously the splitters should be
owned by the service provider and upstream of the mega-patch-bay for a
muni open access system.

Well, I would assume the splitters have to be compatible with the OLT/ONT
chosen by a prospective L1 client, no?  Or is GPON GPON, which is GPON?

Meanwhile, EPON seems to be the technology that's won out on a global
basis. Might have something to do with the price - all the hooks to
support legacy ATM stuff in GPON's GEM come at a cost. :-)

Hmmm.  I invite you, Rob, if you have the time, to look at the Rollup
and Followup posts I put out this afternoon, which are the look at this
which is closest to current in time.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com