nanog mailing list archives

Re: The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

From: Ryan Malayter <malayter () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 23:46:01 -0600

On Feb 9, 2013, at 6:45 AM, fredrik danerklint <fredan-nanog () fredan se> wrote:

No. Streaming from services, like Netflix, HBO, etc..., is what's
coming. We need to prepare for the bandwidth they are going to be
using.

Then work on your HTTP caching infrastructure. All these services already use a proprietary form of HTTP adaptive
streaming, either MSFT, Adobe, or Apple. These technologies are being unified by DASH in the MPEG/ISO standards bodies.

Adaptive HTTP chunk streaming gives you the best of multicast-like and cached VoD behavior, exploiting the temporal
locality of popularity in content while not requiring multicast.

As a content publisher, I must say it works wonders for us so far, even with just two bitrates. There is a huge HTTP
caching infrastructure out there in businesses, schools, and other orgs that is unused by other video transports; even
plain HTTP downloads usually overrun cache object size limits.

The Olympic streaming in particular showed how well HTTP chunk video can scale; dozen of screens in my org showed the
same content all day from local cache, with no noticeable spikes on our transit links.

Is HTTP as efficient a protocol as possible for transporting video? No, but 1K of headers per 1M of content chunk
puts it within 0.1% of netcat. And "working now with widely deployed infrastructure" beats  "stuck in Internet Draft
forever".