nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:41:42 +0900

Eric Wieling wrote:

In the past the ISP simply needed a nice big ATM pipe to the
ILEC for DSL service.   The ILEC provided a PVC from the
customer endpoint to the ISP.  As understand it this is no
longer the case, but only because of non-technical issues.

The non-technical issue is *COST*!!!!!

No one considered to use so expensive ATM as L2 for DSL unbundling,
at least in Japan, which made DSL in Japan quite inexpensive.

We currently use XO, Covad, etc to connect to the customer
We get a fiber connection to them and the provide use L2
connectivity to the custom endpoint using an Ethernet VLAN,
Frame Relay PVC, etc complete with QoS.   I assume XO,
etc use UNE access to the local loop.   There is no reason
a Muni can't do something similar.

Muni can. However, there is no reason Muni can't offer L1
unbundling.

                                                Masataka Ohta