nanog mailing list archives

Re: looking for hostname geographic hint validation

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:09:21 -0700

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Bradley Huffaker <bhuffake () caida org>wrote:

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 02:45:09PM -0700, Matthew Petach wrote:
Hitting 93% accuracy is actually pretty mindblowing
from my perspective, given how random some of
the naming choices are.  ^_^;

This is the number of times we think we have an answer and it is wrong.

Ah, so that would include cases like thinking CH1 and CHE might
be nearby, rather than halfway around the planet, but wouldn't include
things like MUD, where there wouldn't even be a guess at an answer.

It does not include the number of times we failed to find an answer that
is there.  Although we have plans to search for nonstandard names in the
future, we currently do not look for them and so can't get them wrong.

Thanks for the clarification around the number--makes much
more sense now.  :)

Matt