nanog mailing list archives

Re: looking for hostname geographic hint validation

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:45:09 -0700

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM, tabris <tabris () tabris net> wrote:

On 08/27/2013 12:33 PM, Bradley Huffaker wrote:
We are currently working on an algorithm that automatically detects
geographic hints inside of hostnames. At this point we are seeking
operators who can validate some of our inferences. Please contact me
if you can valid one of the inferences below or can provide us with one
we have missed.

# Inferences

<iata> (International Air Transport Association airport code)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code
<iaco> International Civil Aviation Organization airport code

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization_airport_code
<clli> COMMON LANGUAGE Location Identifier Code
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLLI
<city name>  largest populated city with the given name
             for example "sandiego" is "San Diego, CA, US"
                                         <iata>.yahoo.com

not in every case is iata helpful for yahoo.

There is lax.yahoo.com and sjc.yahoo.com, but that's really only true
for a few limited peering-points.
for non-US, most of the actual data centres have names related to the
country. in US often more city related, but even that's a bit hairy with
places like 'mud.yahoo.com'

Hey, MUD made sense at the time; it's the "Mid US Datacenter".  :P
(now, good luck fitting that into any pattern scheme...)

peering points are still somewhat more random, may be city, country, or
partner related ['the' is in london, for example]

THE makes sense; everyone knows TeleHouse East.

I actually didn't even know about the IATA acronym
until this thread, so I can honestly say it didn't enter
into the naming discussions; I dare say there's a lot
of other networks out there in a similar situation.
Hitting 93% accuracy is actually pretty mindblowing
from my perspective, given how random some of
the naming choices are.  ^_^;

Matt