nanog mailing list archives

RE: Evaluating Tier 1 Internet providers

From: "Eric Louie" <elouie () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:50:50 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin M. Streiner [mailto:streiner () cluebyfour org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:36 AM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: RE: Evaluating Tier 1 Internet providers

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Eric Louie wrote:

I would also look at which providers are on-net in your location, or
would be willing to build into your location for a reasonable cost.
One thing you want to avoid is all of your providers using the same
local loop provider to get into the building, or local dark fiber
providers using the same right-of-way / conduit / manhole to get into
your building.
Many providers might subcontract the physical last-mile construction to
a local dark fiber provider.  Entrance diversity and last-mile
diversity is something you can probably have more influence over than
how provider X gets between Chicago and New York.

The only thing I'm looking at are on-net solutions - luckily or unluckily we
are at data center locations (carrier neutral) so my choices are limited to
the on-nets that they already have (I'm not going through the pain of
bringing in a new one) and most of them are offering "free install"

Many providers will build into your location if they're in your city if
you either pay the build costs, or are purchasing enough service that
the construction costs can amortized over the term of the contract.  If
they amortize, make sure you keep that in mind when the contract is up
for re-negotiation, so they're no longer trying to ding you for
construction costs that you've already paid :)

jms