nanog mailing list archives

Re: How big is the Internet?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:26:05 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>

I suspect that, to a first approximation, "traffic which passes through the
edge of at least one AS" is probably what most people think of as
'Internet' traffic.

As per my original post to this thread, that would remove all traffic
from Akamai on-net nodes, Google's GGC nodes, Netflix's on-net Open
Connect nodes, and many others.

If you are a broadband network in many countries, that is well over
half the traffic going down your customer's pipes.

I think most people would alter their definition to count that
traffic.

Ok, "to a zeroth approximation".

That said: it depends on what you're trying to measure, as has been
pointed out before: the entire *point* of edge caching is "to get all
that duplicated traffic 'off of the Internet'," no?

As for your DNS question: the interior query isn't, per-se, but the
repeated one from your resolver/proxy *is*.

I don't think the type of packet (DNS, HTTP, SMTP, etc. or even TCP,
IP, ICMP) should matter.

The rest of those are generally not application-level proxied the way
DNS is with most consumer edge NAT routers.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com