nanog mailing list archives

Re: How big is the Internet?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:00:38 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell () ufp org>

I have a feeling that does not come close to matching the mental
model most people have in their head of "Internet traffic". But
maybe I'm confused.

It matches my mental model. Your network is connected to the Internet,
that's traffic between two hosts, it's Internet traffic.

Let's take the same two machines, but I own one and you own one, and
let's put them on the same network behind a NAT just like your home,
but at a coffee shop. Rather than backups we're both running bit
torrent and our two machines exchange data.

That's Internet traffic, isn't it? Two unrelated people talking over
the network? They just happen to be on the same LAN.

"Internet traffic is traffic which leaves and/or arrives at your machine
in a session with some other machine which is on a network physically
or administratively disjoint from the one your network is on."

How's that?

I think it solves both your and Patrick's requirements.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com