nanog mailing list archives

Re: the economies of scale of a Worldcon, and how to make this topic relevant to Nanog

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 03:17:44 -0500 (CDT)

Subject: Re: the economies of scale of a Worldcon,
From: Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:08:22 -0700

On Sep 21, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

A lot of this, too, depends on what the concom negotiated with the
property about wifi access already.

And this is where you're going to hit some very hard walls.

One of which I forgot to mention. Many of the hotels (I believe all
Hilton properties at this time) have sold the facilities space for their
wifi network to another company. They CAN'T negotiate it with you,
because they don't own it any more. And most of these wifi networks have
stealth killers enabled, so that they spoof any other wifi zone they see
and send back reject messages to the clients. So you can't run them side
by side.

This _is_ a "let's you and him fight" comment, but one might want to run an
inquiry past the Friendly Candy Company, about the _legality_ of such
'killers' -- there are rules prorscribing _deliberate_/_intentional_ *active*
"interference with radio communication" that do apply to 'unlicensed' spectrum.