nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Department of Work and Pensions, UK has an entire /8

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:02:30 -0700

Robert,

On Sep 19, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Robert Guerra <rguerra () privaterra org> wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that the unused IP block would not be sold as is mentioned in the article, but instead  be
returned to RIPE to be reallocated?

Assuming for the sake of argument that the 51/8 is actually unused (which it apparently isn't), the UK gov't would be
under no contractual obligation to return the address space to IANA (which is (arguably) the allocating registry, not
RIPE) -- I believe that "class A" was allocated prior to the existence of the RIRs and registration service agreements.

Regards,
-drc