nanog mailing list archives

Re: Detection of Rogue Access Points

From: Sean Harlow <sean () seanharlow info>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:29:32 -0400

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Joe Hamelin <joe () nethead com> wrote:

Jonathan stated that they have health data on the network and only company
issued devices are allowed.  I would suggest to him that he inventory the
equipment via MAC address (I'm guessing that it's mostly standard issue
stuff that would be easy to recognize) and then lock down unused ports and
setup up monitoring. If a new MAC appears on the network, then it better
have been sent there by IT.

I won't argue with that.  When no official wireless network is involved, a
MAC whitelist can be very effective.  It'll catch any casual user
attempting to homebrew a WiFi setup and significantly increase the odds of
detecting an actual attacker.  Even if the switches are at the lowest end
of "smart" and only expose a web interface it's not too hard to rig up a
screen scraper to list the connected devices on a regular basis and alert
if anything new is seen.  I'd expect that there are probably at least a
dozen commercial and/or open source tools that already exist for the
purpose, actually.