nanog mailing list archives

Re: carping about CARP

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:35:10 -0500

Henning Brauer <hb-nanog () bsws de> writes:

* Robert E. Seastrom <rs () seastrom com> [2012-11-30 13:46]:
My problem is not with Theo nor with the IETF.  My problem is with a
crappy and credulous implementation.  When an outage is caused by
redundancy software that comes from an organization that prides itself
on well-written code, the irony meter goes off the scale.

vrrp and carp share the vhid space. you have to use unique vhids per
network segment, that's about it.

the openbsd box was nice enough to tell you about the mac address
conflict, the other's didn't.

pfSense is FreeBSD, but who's counting?  The problem is magnified when
ill-behaved software ends up in appliances.  Good thing we were able
to get a shell on the box.

if you looked at the carp boxes you had seen that carp had continued
to work just fine. the mac address (which is basically "fixed prefix +
vhid) conflict is your "outage". there's nothing we could do about
that.

and re IANA, they made it clear they would not give us a proto number
no matter what; we didn't have a choice but to ignore that
industry-money-driven committee.

Between choosing an Ethernet OUI which was assigned to IANA by IEEE
(another "industry-money-driven committee") and choosing protocol 112
(odds of coincidence 1 in what, 120 or so at the time?), "ignore" is
not the word I would have chosen here.

-r