nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 05:38:24 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, mike wrote:

You're saying there are no cellular v6 deployments? I'm about 99% certain that you're wrong. I see v6 addresses in my apache logs all the time and they're almost definitely while they're not on wifi (my site uploads gps data while people are skiing, so they're usually on cellular).

I am in Europe. None of Apple och Microsoft mobile devices will do IPv6 on the mobile side. I don't know if they do special versions for the US market, but for general 3GPP networks, it doesn't work.

Is this the app's fault? What are they doing wrong?

They try to detect if there is Internet connectivity and check only IPv4, they use IPv4 literals and other things. I am not an app developer, I do networking, and when I connect IPv6 only to Android or Windows, a lot of things stop working. I haven't tried iPhone but I would believe the situation is similar there.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se