nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:22:05 -0800

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

In message <alpine.DEB.2.00.1211270558340.27834 () uplift swm pp se>, Mikael Abrah
amsson writes:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Michael Thomas wrote:

I don't see either Apple or Microsoft as being the hindrance. In fact,
both of them seem pretty ready, fsvo "ready". Unlike ISP's by and large.
But I'm pretty sure that both iPhones and Androids are pretty happy
about being in v6 land since I see them showing up in my logs all the
time, for the few providers that have lit up v6.

Not on the mobile side. Wifi yes, mobile no.

I'm all for bagging on those two, but it seems pretty unjustified here.

What they need to start doing is testing Apps for IPv6 only access
capabilitity. This doesn't work today, Apps like Waze, Spotify and others
do not work on IPv6 only access.

One could just start adding negative reviews to any product that
doesn't work in a IPv6 only network.

Yes, you can start your reviews on Android with Skype, Netflix, and
Spotify all fail to work in an IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 3G/4G network

This list needs to be updated, but it is a fair starting point
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnVbRg3DotzFdGVwZWlWeG5wXzVMcG5qczZEZloxWGc#gid=0

It is also worth noting that folks can certainly test IPv6-only apps
using T-Mobile in the USA
https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/lg-mytouch, that's just one data
point.

And, 464XLAT on Android does enable these broken application to work
correctly on an IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 network
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-08

464XLAT and IPv6 tethering code for Android here
http://dan.drown.org/android/clat/

CB

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org