nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:10:29 +0000

On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:37 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

CGN does not scale and cannot scale. At best, it's a hack that might allow us to cope with a few years of transition
while there are still devices in homes that are IPv4-only, but it certainly doesn't reduce or remove the imperative.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm unsure whether or not this view is held by those who control spending and
prioritization within most, or even many, ISPs.

Mobility (and everything is inexorably becoming mobile) is an obvious place where IPv6 makes a lot of sense, for
example.  But native IPv6 on one's own access networks and then gatewaying/proxying to IPv4 for actual 'Internet'
connectivity seems to be a significant direction.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton