nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google/Youtube problems

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:55:24 -0800

On 11/19/12 5:59 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
What I'm trying to say, I can't see youtube generating anywhere nearly enough revenue who shift 10% (or more) of Internet. And to explain this conundrum to myself, I've speculated accounting magic (which I'd frown upon) and leveraging market position to get free capacity (which is ok, I'd do the same, had I the leverage)
Or there's a simpler explanation. Which is that it makes money either directly or as part of a salubrious interaction with other google properties.

They had about 2.5Billion left over for their trouble in the quarter ending 9/30 which isn't too shabby on a gross of 14 billion.