nanog mailing list archives

Re: Current IPv6 state of US Mobile Phone Carriers

From: "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 19:58:07 -0700

Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com> writes:
On May 22, 2012 7:14 PM, "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <
wolfgang.rupprecht () gmail com> wrote:

Cameron Byrne writes:
   From what you wrote,  guess is you are using a phone that does not
   have IPv6 support (only Nexus phones have support today... Other
phones
   do not have the correct radio / RIL capabilities)

I'm using the Galaxy Nexus GSM bought directly from google a few weeks
ago.  The firmware is up to date as are the apps.

The instructions mention settings and pages that are slightly wrong
for this phone.  I went to the "Mobile network settings" -> "Access
Point names" -> "T-Mobile US, epc.tmobile.com" -> "APN Protocol".  It
was "IPv4" and I changed it to "IPv4/IPv6" and then rebooted.  There
was no "save" button or menu item.  After reboot the ipv4/ipv6 setting
was still active (so it was saved), but no connection took place.  The
cell tower I'm using is in Fremont, CA (CID 47052 LAC321).  Might it
not be v6 connected?

For the sake of the archive and documenting the confirmed fix, the correct
APN setting for T-Mobile is "IPv6" not "IPv4 /IPv6"

Yup.  Thanks Cameron! Chosing IPv6 (-only), does work.  I can view
IPv6-only websites when on a cell connection.  Before that only worked
when on wifi.

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about