nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBC reports Kenya fiber break

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:59:45 -0500

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:17 17AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner () cluebyfour org> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Rodrick Brown wrote:

There's about 1/2 a dozen or so known private and government research
facilities on Antarctica and I'm surprised to see no fiber end points on
that continent? This can't be true.

Constantly shifting ice shelves and glaciers make a terrestrial cable
landing very difficult to implement on Antarctica.  Satellite connectivity
is likely the only feasible option.  There are very few places in
Antarctica that are reliably ice-free enough of the time to make a viable
terrestrial landing station.  Getting connectivity from the landing station
to other places on the continent is another matter altogether.

Apparently at least one long fiber pull has been contemplated.

(Note : the headline is incorrect - the Internet reached the South Pole in 1994,
via satellite, of course :
http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/90s/ftp1.html )

As far as I can tell, this was never done, and the South Pole gets its
Internet mostly via
TDRSS.

http://www.usap.gov/technology/contentHandler.cfm?id=1971

Yes.  I had discussions with some of their network support folks circa 1994 -- with
limited bandwidth (DS0, as I recall) and only a few hours of connectivity per day,
when a satellite was over the horizon, they were very concerned about attackers
clogging their link.