nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBC reports Kenya fiber break

From: Frank Habicht <geier () geier ne tz>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:45:30 +0300

On 3/1/2012 5:54 PM, Oliver Garraux wrote:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Georgios Theodoridis <gtheo () iti gr> wrote:
Has it been known the exact time of the incident?
I have found an article reporting that the cut occurred in the mid-day of
Saturday 25th but nothing more precise.
We would like to use such information for a BGP anomaly detection analysis
that we are carrying out in our research centre.

Thanks in advance,

George

It sounds like there were multiple cables that were lost recently.
For the EASSy cable issue in the Red Sea, an ISP in Malawi stated the
issues started at "09:26 on Friday 17 February".  I don't know first
hand if that is accurate to the minute or not.  I believe this is
separate from the cable off the cost of Kenya that was cut on the
25th.

Oliver

timestamp is GMT+0(or maybe UTC) :

6413: Feb 17 07:17:53.606: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on
Interface POS0/1/0, changed state to down

yes, on NTP.

Frank