nanog mailing list archives

RE: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:02:00 +0000

I'll put this as bluntly and succinctly as I can because I find the LIR
distriction arbitrary...

I have an ipv6 direct assignment from ARIN.

I am assuming you are an enterprise in PI space and not an ISP in PA space?

It is sized to meet the needs of my enterprise consistent with needs
for future growth number of pops, prevailing ARIN policy etc.

Because my network is discontiguous I must announce more specific
routes than the assignment in order to reflect the topology I have both
in IPV4 and in IPV6.

I fully expect (and have no evidence to the contrary) that my transit
providers will accept the deaggreated prefixes and that their upstreams
and peers will by-in-large do likewise.

If you are in PI space, I believe most people take down to a /48 as a /48 is generally accepted to be a single "site".
So let's say you were given a /40 and have several disconnected sites.  Most people are going to accept a /48 from you
in PI space. I would say pretty close to "everyone" is going to accept a /48 from PI space.

An ISP that has been given a /32 or larger allocation from PA space and might have 10,000 customers each assigned their
own /48 could instantly more than double the size of the IPv6 routing table if they disaggregated that /32.

The problem here is that each /32 is 65536 /48 networks.  An even larger net, say a /30 that disaggregates due to a
router configuration goof means a potential of a huge number of networks suddenly flooding the Internet.