nanog mailing list archives

Re: Questions about anycasting setup

From: Pete Carah <pete () altadena net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 01:01:53 -0800

On 03/09/2012 12:11 AM, Elmar K. Bins wrote:
Bill,

woody () pch net (Bill Woodcock) wrote:

  2. We plan to use this anycasting based setup for DNS during initial few
  months. Assuming low traffic for DNS say ~10Mbps on average (on 100Mbps
  port) and transit from just single network (datacenter itself) - is this
  setup OK for simple software based BGP like Quagga or Bird?
Yes, and in fact, that's how nearly all large production anycast networks are built???  Each anycast instance
contains its own BGP speaker, which announces its service prefix to adjacent BGP-speaking routers, whether those be
your own, or your transit-provider's.  Doing exactly as you describe is, in fact, best-practice.
Well, let's say, using Quagga/BIRD might not really be best practice for
everybody... (e.g., *we* are using Cisco equipment for this)
Actually there is a *very* good reason why many (most?) anycast
instances use quagga/BIRD/gated/etc
to speak bgp (or even ospf for internal anycast) which using a Cisco (or
any separate router) usually won't accomplish.

-- Pete

Using anycasting for DNS is, to my knowledge, best practice nowadays.