nanog mailing list archives

Re: airFiber

From: ML <ml () kenweb org>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:14:46 -0400

On 3/31/2012 6:12 AM, Andrew McConachie wrote:
Is this any different than what GigaBeam tried before they went bankrupt.
http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=177145

Their website only shows a control panel login now so I think they've
gone completely out of business.  The only reason I know about them is
because one of my customers used two of their radios for a p2p 1G link
and it was a disaster.  The Gigabeam radios tried to transparently act
as L1 devices.    They were just converting optical energy to radio
energy.  They didn't act as bridges.  So if you plugged a switch into
either end each switch would think it had an L1 connection to the
other switch.

It would work with certain optics and certain firmware versions of
certain switches.  But if you changed anything you might get link and
you might not.

I hope these Ubiquity devices actually maintain link even if the radio
connection goes down.

Often such a feature is an option within the radio configuration. Where wired side link follows wireless link. To me that never seemed like a good idea because I need to get into the radio during a wireless link-down situation. Maybe if there was an OOB ethernet port it could work but I haven't seen them on any radio I've touched.