nanog mailing list archives

Re: airFiber

From: Andrew McConachie <smutt () depht com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:12:27 +0300

Is this any different than what GigaBeam tried before they went bankrupt.
http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=177145

Their website only shows a control panel login now so I think they've
gone completely out of business.  The only reason I know about them is
because one of my customers used two of their radios for a p2p 1G link
and it was a disaster.  The Gigabeam radios tried to transparently act
as L1 devices.    They were just converting optical energy to radio
energy.  They didn't act as bridges.  So if you plugged a switch into
either end each switch would think it had an L1 connection to the
other switch.

It would work with certain optics and certain firmware versions of
certain switches.  But if you changed anything you might get link and
you might not.

I hope these Ubiquity devices actually maintain link even if the radio
connection goes down.

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Marshall Eubanks