nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:47:29 -0700

On Jun 21, 2012, at 5:04 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

Karl Auer wrote:

Speaking for myself, I'm one of the "if I want to allow direct outside
connection to my interior machines I should be able to" crowd.

While "direct" and "interior" are not compatible that you actually
mean some indirections...

Anyway, what if, your ISP assigns a globally unique IPv4 address
to your home router (a NAT box) which is UPnP capable?

That's what the largest retail ISP in Japan is doing.

                                              Masataka Ohta

Does not scale. Not enough IPv4 addresses to do that for 6.8 billion people
on the planet.

What if my ISP just routes my /48? Seems to work quite well, actually.

Owen