nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:28:11 +0900

Owen DeLong wrote:

Showing that you don't actually understand what everyone else means when
they say "end-to-end".

Where is your point only to demonstrate that you don't understand
what"end to end" means?

No carrier is going to implement that for obvious reasons.

Besides, that's not transparent end-to-end, that's predictably opaque
end-to-end.

With no reasoning of you, I can simply say:

        WRONG

UPnP provides information for clients to restore IP and TCP
headers from local ones back to global ones, which is visible
to applications.

But it doesn't work across multiple layers of NAT.

It is trivially easy to make UPnP works across multiple layers
of UPnP capable NAT.

Now, redraw the diagram for the real world scenario:

host <-> UPnP NAT <-> Carrier NAT <-> Internet <-> Carrier NAT <-> UPnP NAT <-> host

Tell me again how the application signaling from UPnP survives through all that and comes up with correct answers?

It is trivially:

        host <-> home UPnP NAT <-> Carrier UPnP NAT <-> Internet
        <-> Carrier UPnP NAT <-> home UPnP NAT <-> host

                                                Masataka Ohta