nanog mailing list archives

Re: job screening question

From: David Coulson <david () davidcoulson net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 13:16:49 -0400

That's a horrible question for a non-technical HR person to pose to a candidate - It's impossible for the candidate to ask clarifying questions to make sure they understand what you are looking for, plus you may have a strong candidate who gets it wrong (for whatever reason), but if they were talking to a technical person you would realize they were 99% of the way there. What if they said "it would cause the generation of port-unreachable ICMP packets to cease, and applications may hang until they timeout"? Not the answer you're looking for, but not wrong either.

I leave HR to their standard screening stuff, and do the technical part myself. Less chance to skip over a good candidate, even if it takes a bit longer in the whole process.