nanog mailing list archives

Re: enterprise 802.11

From: Joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:38:49 -0800

On 1/15/12 11:30 , Ken King wrote:
I need to choose a wireless solution for a new office.

up to 600 devices will connect.  most devices are mac books and mobile phones.

we can see hundreds of access points in close proximity to our new office space.

what are the thoughts these days on the best enterprise solution/vendor?

My normal advice is fairly vendor independant.

use dual band dual radio APs. 802.11A attenuates much more effectively
in residential/commercial construction so the cells are smaller and
there's a lot more spectrum... you'll attract all macs, as well as ipads
and most enterprise laptops to 802.11a/n

Don't run mixed mode in the 2.4ghz band. drop the output power on the
2.4ghz radios to ~30mw, turn off the 802.11b rates, and increase the
multicast rate to at least 12Mb/s

plan for not more that 50 people per ap (remember the aps have dual radios).

if you're going to use 40mhz channels (and n-rates) do so only on 5.8ghz
where the map coloring problem is tractable.

Thanks for your replies.

Ken King