nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux Centralized Administration

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:42:30 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Daniel Ankers wrote:

I looked into Puppet and though I've got it managing parts of our
infrastructure it seems quite difficult to bolt on to an existing
setup.  There are also some things that I can't see how to do easily
with Puppet ("Don't upgrade packages on the live environment until
we've tested them in staging" being a big one.)

Has anyone mentioned cluster ssh yet? Depending on your scale, cluster ssh and a "really big screen" may be a suitable way to manage N servers and do things like apply updates or make identical changes to all at once (or in groups). It also gives you the flexibility to apply commands to all or single out a system and do things just in the one window, then to back to talking to all.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |