nanog mailing list archives

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:19:15 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Joe Greco wrote:

I must admit that our planning and preparedness is designed around a
multi-level strategy to avoid having to go on-site to a site nearly a
thousand miles away, so we've probably instrumented things a bit more
heavily than many networks, but when the cost difference between IPMI-
capable gear and standard gear is a handful of dollars, I guess I am
a bit mystified that anyone would want to "drive 100+ miles to a
remote colo" twice a month for a task that it sounds like KVMoIP or
IPMI might be able to tackle.

Technically, only one of the trips was to play doctor on the remote server...the second was to upgrade/replace other gear in the POP, but I figured as long as I'm there, it'd really suck to be there and not have a head for the server if I need it...so it went with me. On the second trip, the monitor (this time a 20" because the 17" I'd taken last time had died in the interval between the trips...or maybe as a result of its car trip) never left the car.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |