nanog mailing list archives

Re: Laptop with reverse VGA

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:45:02 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Harris" <neil () tonal clara co uk>

High prices are more likely to do with the small market for such
devices, than to do with the cost of the underlying technology.

Sure.  Not being on the consumer part of the S-curve will kill you.

It isn't so much genlock, as accurate pixel clock recovery, that's the
hard thing.

That's the fundamental component of genlock, I think, isn't it?

It is indeed hard to do well, but fortunately the chipmakers have done
all that for you. It's a common enough need (think flat panel monitors)
that there are inexpensive single-chip solutions for it that not only
do the A/D conversion, but handle the pixel clock recovery for you as
well: see, for example, the Analog Devices AD9884A or ADV7441A.

Yeah; I knew (or was pretty sure) that it was down to the chip level at
this point, but as you say, for driving the price down, there's nothing
like the single-chip solution, and this is apparently just far enough
off the edge of the popularity curve that it's not in any single-chip
solutions (that I know of, and board-level hardware isn't really my game).

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com