nanog mailing list archives

Re: Colo Vending Machine

From: Astrodog <astrodog () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:05:20 -0600

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM, John Curran <jcurran () istaff org> wrote:
On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Astrodog wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster () gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:02, George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com> wrote:
Will IANA accept netblock transfers as an exchange medium for
datacenter goodies vending machine payments? ...  ;-)

Joking while busy discouraged.  s/IANA/ARIN/d'oh

I suspect ARIN would follow its policy to recognize
any transfer and update its records as long as the
needs assessment was successfully completed,
but any compensation between the seller and
buyer of the resource is not part of the ARIN process.

(This is a (bad?) joke reference to a currently
ongoing discussion on the ARIN PPML list).

Hah. So, this should work, provided both entities are on the STSL then.

"Sure..."  ;-)

That means you'd want about $2K worth of gear because of the existing /24
minimum, in addition to vending machine able to explain why it needs the
address space.

Have fun,
/John

p.s. A /16 might be about right for a pack of 100G SMF CFP modules...

This gives me an idea. The vending machine could also sell hosting.
Sometimes, the box just won't come back to life and you need somewhere
to stuff the data. *grin*

(Actually, based on a few of my DC visits, there are times where I'd
have gladly shelled out $2k for a small baggie of screws.)

--- Harrison