nanog mailing list archives

Re: Common operational misconceptions

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:48:21 -0600

On 2/17/2012 9:18 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
Having worked with many people over the last 40 years, the good trouble
shooters understood how things
were suppose to work. This helps immeasurably in determining where to
start looking.

Ran into this not too long ago with a transport problem. The behavior I was seeing was indicative of the transport not stripping their outer tag. They put wireshark on a windows laptop and sent me the traffic captures. While I didn't know that M$ decided to do something silly like removing a single tag, all indicators were that the M$ stack "fixed" whatever was broken prior to wireshark. We took a capture from another device and proved the problem.

Which is a common transport problem I often see, "Our configuration looks right, it must be on your end."

Jack