nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dear RIPE: Please don't encourage phishing

From: Christian de Larrinaga <cdel () firsthand net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:23:49 +0000

The DNS "industry" is putting us a long way from when RFC 2826 was written.

Christian

On 12 Feb 2012, at 01:31, John Levine wrote:

Nice.  Basically, unless the TLD registrar has a public policy that basically says
"We don't allow names with cyrillic C to collide with MICROSOFT", their hostnames
all get displayed as xn--gobbledygook.

More or less.  ICANN has been wrestling with the lookalike character
issue in domain names for about a decade.  I think it's fair to say
that everyone agrees that all solutions are less than totally
satisfactory.

R's,
John