nanog mailing list archives

Re: [#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:10:12 -0600

Once upon a time, George Bonser <gbonser () seven com> said:
Let's say I had a business in space in a building I was leasing at 100 Main Street, Podunk, USA.  Now let's say you
didn't renew the lease so I moved to a building up the block but put the 100 Main Street address on my new location
and continued to use that address for my business.

That's covered under trespassing laws.

Or let's say I operated a TV station on channel 37 that was allocated to you but you terminate my operating contract.
 So I lease/erect a new transmitter and continue broadcasting on channel 37.

That's covered under FCC regulations on use of public spectrum.

AFAIK there's no law covering the use of what party X considers their 32
bit numbers (assigned by party A) by party Y.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>