nanog mailing list archives

RE: Programmers with network engineering skills

From: Jamie Bowden <jamie () photon com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:27:52 +0000

William Herrin [mailto:bill () herrin us]
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Brandt, Ralph wrote:
Generalists are hard to come by these days.

I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly
limited)
programming skills.

I wish. For the past three months I've been trying to find a network
engineer with a deep TCP/IP protocol understanding, network security
expertise, some Linux experience, minor programming skill with sockets
and a TS/SCI clearance.

The clearance is killing me. The two generalists didn't have a
clearance and the cleared applicants are programmers or admins but
never both.

Hey now...the time from zero to TS/SCI has gone from over half a decade to a mere quarter decade.  You can totally pay
these guys to sit around doing drudge work while their skills atrophy in the interim.  Of course, if you need a poly on
top, add some more time and stir continually while applying heat.

Jamie