nanog mailing list archives

Re: Programmers with network engineering skills

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:15:10 -0800

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Jason Bertoch <jason () i6ix com> wrote:
On 2/27/2012 7:53 PM, William Herrin wrote:

I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly
limited)
 programming skills.

I wish. For the past three months I've been trying to find a network
engineer with a deep TCP/IP protocol understanding, network security
expertise, some Linux experience, minor programming skill with sockets
and a TS/SCI clearance.

Is clearance the problem, or the ability to obtain clearance due to
something in their background?  If your work requires it, you should have
some recourse for applicants to obtain the required clearance, no?

My understanding is that while primary and subcontractor companies can
put people in the sponsoring organization's clearance granting queue,
it takes so long to get someone through the queue that for high-level
positions they essentially make having the clearance already a
prerequisite.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert () gmail com