nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fiber only in DataCenters?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:01:15 -0800

On Dec 17, 2012, at 09:14 , Andrew Latham <lathama () gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM, James Wininger <jwininger () ifncom net> wrote:
Hello all,

Looking for input from "providers" as well as "consumers" of data center space and facilities. Specifically speaking
to the types of available physical cross connects.

Are there data centers out there that are "fiber only"? That is to say that the cross connects are fiber only and no
copper cross connects are available?

I understand that fiber is great and all, but to my knowledge there are a lot of folks still using and needing
copper cross connects. Am I wrong?
--

Jim

In general the physical size and space needed for security make fiber
a requirement.  Copper is very useful but ladder racks and managed
cabling can make runs much longer.  Fiber is simply the next scale.

I have yet to see a datacenter that doesn't offer both.

That does not mean that all runs within any given datacenter can be done via copper, but I don't now of any datacenters
that do not make copper cross-connects available to customers that wish to purchase them.

Owen