nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU mismatch on one link

From: Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:16:21 -0400

My question was actually prompted by an issue that comes up with multicast routing, where either the underlying RIB is static or the unicast routing protocol managed to operate successfully. In any event, in some cases the PIM messages get large enough to be lost at layer 2.

One proposal before the PIM Working Group was to negotiate MTU as part of the PIM Hello exchange, but this was considered overkill for a debugging-type problem. As some responses have pointed out, OSPF does at least detect the situation.