nanog mailing list archives

Re: Copyright infringement notice

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:31:13 -0400

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
<amitchell () isipp com> wrote:
If you're in the U.S., the process for handling these notices is
prescribed by law, specifically the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
(search: DMCA takedown notice). It details what the infringement

The thing that muddies this is that, as I understand it, the notice
was not for takedown (i.e. there is not an allegation that they
are *hosting* infringing material) - it is a notice that one of their
users *downloaded* copyrighted material (IP, do I have that right?)

Thanks Anne. You are, of course, correct and the information you
provided is very much on point.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004