nanog mailing list archives

Re: Copyright infringement notice

From: Larry Smith <lesmith () ecsis net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:55:13 -0500

On Wed August 22 2012 14:07, Robert Bonomi wrote:
I'm NOT SURE whether the ISP has any potential liability in _this_
situation -- there's nothing 'published' by their customer for them to
'take down', etc.

Actually, I believe in most cases the only way "they" (DMCA) see the
data is that it _is_ published as a bittorrent file, meaning that others
can leach or download from that location as well as the originating
(or original) file itself.  In almost all cases that I have received these,
I can open my torrent, search for that file, and the IP address mentioned
shows up as a possible download (almost, not all)...

--
Larry Smith
lesmith () ecsis net