nanog mailing list archives

RE: Cheap Juniper Gear for Lab

From: Tom Ammon <tom.ammon () utah edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:19:05 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Hanke [mailto:jay.hanke () mankatonetworks com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:03 PM
To: sthaug () nethelp no
Cc: nanog () nanog org
.Subject: Re: Cheap Juniper Gear for Lab

We have 3 J2320s in the lab, all running 9.3R3.8. That's the last
*real* JunOS (no session/flow tracking) for these boxes.

+1 on that. We have a number of 2300s in our lab for the same purpose
running 8.x code.

We also use Junosphere extensively, but nothing beats real hardware.
j2300s are cheap.

Jay

So, I have a question, then. For the purposes of learning JUNOS, is 8.3 code sufficient? Would you be missing a lot of
features that are in newer code? I would assume IPv6 features are different between 8.3 and the latest code, is that
right?

Tom

Tom Ammon
Network Engineer