nanog mailing list archives

Re: vyatta for bgp

From: Scott Whyte <swhyte () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:03:21 -0700

On 9/22/11 11:38 , Charles N Wyble wrote:
On 09/22/2011 05:37 AM, Pierce Lynch wrote:
Andreas Echavez [mailto:andreas () livejournalinc com] originally wrote:
Ultimately, the network is as reliable as you build it. With
software, it's much cheaper to divide and scale horizontally.
Hardware devices are expensive and usually horizontal
scalability never happens. So in reality, an enterprise blows 100k on
two routers, they both flop because of some "firmware bug", and
you're down.
With this in mind, I am keen to understand how many implementations of
packages such as Quagga and Zebra that the group use. With the likes
of Vyatta being discussed, I am keen to see if products such as Quagga
as still regularly used as it used to be.

I think that the original/upstream versions are out of date as compared
to the one maintained by Vyatta. Or Google (for their MPLS processing
needs). See
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog50/abstracts.php?pt=MTYzNSZuYW5vZzUw&nm=nanog50
<http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog50/abstracts.php?pt=MTYzNSZuYW5vZzUw&nm=nanog50>

We are actively supporting Quagga. We currently have a git repo at code.google.com with some BGP multipath updates, and are working with ISC to provide SQA on that branch. Hopefully more features will be forthcoming. Search quagga-dev if you're interested in more details.

Vyatta has done a lot of great work on Quagga, as have many others. It would be nice to see all the various useful branches merged into a cherry-picked mainline that would simplify the Quagga development community's lives considerably.

-Scott