nanog mailing list archives

Re: akamai rate limiting?

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:43:05 -0400

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:17 PM, Cameron Byrne wrote:
On Sep 20, 2011 7:54 PM, "Joseph Gersch" <joe.gersch () secure64 com> wrote:

Does anyone know if Akamai edgesuite servers rate limits or blacklists
caching servers that query it too often?  It appears that queries are timing
out if we exceed a query load to edgesuite.

Does anyone at Akamai know if there are any changes to rate limiting or
an abnormally high load?

Akamai traffic is dropping on my network now.

Emailed their noc, no eta on fix

Cameron & I have been in contact off-list, and all issues have been resolved.

More generally: Hopefully it will come as no surprise that Akamai has some rate-limiting parameters configured.  The
Internet is a nasty place, and every contentious provider should have protections in place.

If anyone sees any problems with Akamai name servers or anything else, noc () akamai com is monitored 24/7 and should
be able to either help directly, or get you in touch with the right people who can.

--
TTFN,
patrick